Action Alert: Free Captain Jack and the US Boat to Gaza!Posted: July 4, 2011
This from Joseph Dana yesterday:
The US boat to Gaza, The Audacity of Hope, is dead in the water. Its captain, an American citizen who goes only by the name Captain Jack, will be brought before a judge on felony charges on Tuesday in Athens. Passengers on the ship have been given the freedom to leave the military port where the boat is currently detained but crew members have been forced to stay on board. Many passengers are choosing to stay with the ship and its captain out of solidarity for their plight. Some passengers have begun a hunger strike to protest the Greek government and its handling of the US boat captain…
Saturday night, charges against the US captain were elevated to felony charges for which he could face jail time. This has generated guilt among the passengers of the US boat split between leaving the boat and standing in solidarity with their captain. Some passengers have already left Athens, including the Pulitzer Prize winning author Alice Walker. Other passengers have begun a hunger strike in protest of the Greek government.
Please join me in voicing your protest over the Greek government’s unjust treatment of Capt. Klusmire and the passengers of Flotilla II. Here is some contact info:
– Call the State Department at (202) 647-4000. Ask for the Overseas US Citizen Services Duty Officer and you can speak to a live State Department official.
– Call the US Embassy in Athens at 011-30-210-721-2951.
– Please also try to call, fax or email your members of Congress.
When you call, I recommend focusing on US to Gaza’s three key requests:
– That the State Department fulfill its duty to advocate on behalf of Captain Klusmire and insist that Greek authorities drop the charges against him.
– That the State Department demand the immediate release of the US boat, The Audacity of Hope, and allow it to sail to Gaza.
– That the State Department demand the Greek Government stop the harassment of all boats involved in a nonviolent action and to let the entire Freedom Flotilla go.