Annoucing: A Psalm a Day!

Sefer Tehillimx506

I’ve just taken on the ambitious goal of writing poetic renderings of the Biblical Psalms – one every day.

Those of you who have read my other blog, Yedid Nefesh, know that I enjoy writing my own version of “Biblical free verse.”  It’s my own way of commenting on these texts  – by shaping them into a poetic format that broadens (and often subverts) their literal meaning.  I’ve done new versions of several Psalms in the past and have often flirted with the idea of taking on all 150. So here I go!

I’m going to do my level best to hold to my one a day quota (except for Shabbat/Saturday). For maximum impact, I recommend reading them together with a more traditional translation (or if you read Hebrew, obviously, the original text.)  They will all be posted on Yedid Nefesh – I hope you enjoy reading them and would love to hear your thoughts and responses!

Click here for Psalm 1.

7 Comments on “Annoucing: A Psalm a Day!”

1. What a beautiful idea. I can’t wait to read your renderings!

2. Rabbi Reuben says:

Beautiful and a great idea. Hope we see you in LA LOVE Steven

Rabbi Steven Carr Reuben, PhD Kehillat Israel Reconstructionist Congregation http://www.rebreuben.com http://www.interfaithrabbi.com For appointments call Eleanor Powers 424-214-7461 Eleanor.powers@kehillatisrael.org

3. Vicky says:

It’s interesting that you should post this now, as I’ve just finished listening to Bernadette Farrell’s musical rendering of Psalm 139 (probably my favourite psalm). Here it is being sung by the Wells Cathedral Choir. It is better when sung by her, I think, but it’s still a beautiful musical interpretation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3czLPaU6cU

4. Ruth Rosen says:

Thank you for this lovely poetry. What do you do in your spare time?

5. Paulo Neuhaus says:

Great project. Kol hakavod.

Is there any way you can get some computer savvy members of your Shul to enable the posting of your materials on Facebook? It would be a great way to broaden your audience.

Best, Paulo Neuhaus Washington, DC

Sent from my iPad

6. Steve Hinman says:

That is one ambitious goal. Good luck!!! Looking forward to reading them.

7. Sue Gartzman says:

I love them and look forward to all 150!!!

sue gartzman principal

qualitative research consulting 2401 jackson ave. evanston, il 60201 phone 312.502.3149